The share of product-based business must be increased In all economic sectors – such business is globally scalable and delivers higher added value.
● For precise targeting of shortcomings, the entire Estonian product development capability must be mapped
● Businesses fostering a product-based approach must be preferred in national measures (e.g. the Enterprise Estonia development program, the Environmental Investment Centre’s energy efficiency measure, etc.) and in public procurements
● The product development competencies of managers and the involvement of foreign mentors in supporting the implementation of product development must be enhanced
● Support of product development must be based on technology development centers and business accelerators; financial risk management related to product development (e.g. for SMEs) must be diversifiedClose window
● A complete knowledge-transfer system based on the existing network must be established – encouraging ideas from universities, validating and initiating the implementation of those ideas
● The capability of intellectual property management must be increased to support an increased emergence of innovative products and the involvement of scientists in business
● The utilization of pilot production premise and more effective sage of existing laboratories for testingClose window
It must be made possible for students in higher education of all fields to acquire empathical interdisciplinary knowledge in the domain of business, product development and design.
● Interdisciplinary studies in higher education must be introduced, in order to increase the skills related to product development and international marketing
● Universities must be motivated to involve local businesses more in their higher education and R&D projects
● Additional inter-specialty skills for teaching staff must be facilitated and the involvement of foreign lecturers in higher education must be increasedClose window
The online health information system is open to entrepreneurs and individual people, and together with the eHealth services market, they enable citizens to centrally gather and administrate their health related information, in addition to their illness related information; they also enable businesses to establish innovative e-services, as a whole helping improve the quality of health care and establish the premise for an increased number of healthy life years.
● A premise must be established for central and secure administration of health and illness related information and, on these grounds, for setting up new services for businesses
● The eHealth Information System must be opened, accounting for international standards to enable businesses to develop export products
● A pilot project must be conducted (e.g. developing an open online platform for family physicians)Close window
The use of new technologies (materials, energy, sensors, ICT) in construction helps create exportable products and significantly increases added value, while ensuring a higher quality and more resource efficient living environment.
● By 2017, nearly zero-energy requirement for public sector buildings must be enforced; in public procurements, preference must be given to innovative solutions; instruction materials and standards required to establish nearly zero-energy buildings must be prepared
● The Smart City and Smart Village pilot projects must be launched and supportedClose window
An extensive application of contemporary technologies in the basic processes of industries helps create more innovative products and make Estonia’s industrial sector more flexible and competitive.
● Revived industrial competence centers (industry 4.0) must be established that cooperate with other technology development centers and thus support the automatization of business processes (e.g. sectoral expert services)
● Tools supporting technology use must be established (e.g. establishing models to estimate the profitability of technologies)Close window
For an increased number of knowledge-intensive
businesses to emerge, the supply of domestic capital and inflow of high quality
business projects must be significantly increased. Local investors must be
supported in gaining experience for the purpose of investing in businesses.
● The establishment of state-based business accelerators and venture capital funds must be boosted
● The establishment and development of start-up companies, and the launching of development programs that support investment in such companies (in cooperation with internationally successful teams, as part of or in cooperation with accelerators) must be supportedClose window
Boosting economic competitiveness by providing significantly more and higher added value and innovative products made from raw materials and Estonian mineral resources.
● Local processing of wood as a raw material must be increased – instructions and standards for the production and use of wood-composite materials must be prepared; construction regulations must be modernized to enable the construction of multistoried wooden buildings
● The state’s agricultural and enterprise support must give preference to businesses that wish to cover all or a major part of the value chain of food production (incl. by cooperation)
● For greater valorizing of oil shale, the state’s expectations must be defined and a realization strategy must be developed in cooperation with research institutions and businesses; the increase of the research development capacity of the Oil Shale Competence Center must be supportedClose window